SAO Utils VR patch and tutorial (for Beta 1 Update 1)
We have introduced how we can use Vireio Perception to make SAO Utils work with your VR device in article How To – Get SAO Utils to work with your VR device. However, we found that the experience is upset recently, so we decide to develop VR mode for SAO Utils natively and improve the operating experience in stereo mode.
In this page, we will provide you a VR patch and some instructions, for Beta 1 Update 1 (32/64 bit) ONLY. We will integrate the stereo functions in the future release.
1. Download and install SAO Utils
2. Install VR patch for SAO Utils
Decompress all the files in the zip to the root folder of SAO Utils, that’s all.
3. Enable VR mode in SAO Utils
You can find the stereo options in the “Preference-Graphic Settings” panel, SAO Utils supports two types of stereo modes currently:
- Side by Side: Suitable for VR devices, optional cropped/squeezed/black bar modes.
- Anaglyph: For anaglyph glasses, supports red and cyan filter only.
Different modes are shown in the images above, it’s also possible to adjust the “Zero Parallax” and “Eye Separation” for your comfort.
* You must enable the “Compatible” display mode for the best VR experience.
4. Using SAO Utils in VR Boxes
To taste the new VR feature, what we need are just a (DIY) VR box, a smart phone, Trinus VR app and SAO Utils.
4.1 Smart Phone: Install Trinus VR
- Find and install the Trinus VR Full or Lite version on your smart phone.
- Make sure both your phone and PC are in the same network (WiFi / USB Tethering).
- Launch the Trinus VR app.
4.2 PC: Install Trinus VR Server
Note that the Trinus VR is not the only choice, you can also find other software that could transfer the screen to your mobile device.
- Download the PC SERVER on Trinus VR official web site.
- Make sure both your phone and PC are in the same network (Again).
- Launch Trinus VR Server, then click △ icon to start a connection with your phone.
4.3 Trinus VR Settings
The Trinus VR has varieties of options, you can find them by clicking the setting icon at the top right corner (PC) or moving your head to aim at the setting icon (Phone). Most of the options require a disconnection before you can change them, and we strongly recommend you to switch to ‘Advanced Mode’ for a more intuitive setting.
Here’s my settings:
- [Main] Head Mount Model: Freefly_4.7′
- [Main] Image Size: Ultra
- [Main] Image Quality: check Auto Adjust
- [Main] Capture Mode: Fast
- [Main] Sensor Output: No Sensor
- [Video] Fake3D: Disabled
- [Video] Centred: checked
- Lens Correction): Off (for some lens)
4.4 Put you phone into the VR headset
OK, we’re almost there. Just align the black line on the screen and place it into your VR headset, wearing it on, calling out the SAO Utils launcher and shout: Link Start!!
4. Using SAO Utils in VR Devices
Actually I don’t have any standalone VR headsets (Ocular Rift, HTC Vive, etc.), so I can’t test the compatibility with them.
If you have one and be willing to share your ideas or advices, please leave us a comment.